Can you believe Christmas is THIS week!? And it’s 30 degrees outside here in Louisiana, so I hope you’re done (or almost done) with all your Christmas shopping! Let’s take this week to cozy up and enjoy the holidays instead of rushing around town like crazy people! Sound good? Let’s kick things off with today’s Cajun Spiked Hot Chocolate that’s perfect for cold nights in watching Christmas movies!
But just in case you do need to still do a bit of shopping, be sure to check out the Southern Flair Holiday Gift Shop and take advantage of some last-minute shipping deals! Also, you can shop locally with the Baton Rouge Holiday Shopping Guide — no shipping necessary! Pick up locally and enjoy the discounts that expire this month.
Cajun Spiked Hot Chocolate
Each year around this time, my neighborhood hosts its annual luminary. It’s become a tradition on that Sunday to try out a new festive holiday cocktail and walk the neighborhood enjoying the lights. Then, we head home and watch a Christmas movie. (Usually, my go-to is Love, Actually if I haven’t watched it 10 times by then!)
This year we wanted to be a little bit more adventurous with our drink of choice — so adventurous that we basically made up the recipe as we went!
There is a Spicy Hot Chocolate that’s more of a Mexican drink, which combines cayenne and tequila. Then, there’s regular spiked hot chocolate that can include bourbon or another alcohol of your choice.
Being in South Louisiana, we knew we wanted to combine the “spicy” part with the bourbon part. So, we created the Cajun Spiked Hot Chocolate — with cayenne AND bourbon! It definitely has a kick and tastes like Louisiana winter in a mug.
The Chihuahua was a little upset we didn’t use the tequila, obviously.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finally chopped (the tiny chocolate chips work great too!)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of cayenne (or chili powder)
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Optional but encouraged: marshmallows, whip cream
- In a medium sauce pan, simmer the milk and cinnamon on a medium-low heat (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chocolate, sugar, nutmeg, cayenne and salt. Whisk until chocolate is melted (about 5 minutes).
- Add bourbon. Stir to combine.
- Divide into Christmas mugs and top with whip cream, marshmallows and an additional sprinkle of cinnamon.
p.s. Shop my pjs!
No Cajun Spiked Hot Chocolate + Christmas movie night is complete without festive pjs!
Shop My Look: