Don’t worry! This isn’t a challenge that gets you to stand awkwardly still while someone films you. Those days are hopefully over and we can move onto MY version of what a Mannequin Challenge should be! And this mannequin challenge uses actual mannequins. All you gotta do is head into a store, and try on the FULL outfit of the mannequin head to toe.
So why are we doing this, you ask?
Well, do you come out of winter feeling like you’re in a style rut? With all these new spring colors and warm weather clothes, I’m ready to start trying new things! BUT sometimes, I get stuck in old habits and end up with a closet full of the same styles over and over.
There’s obviously nothing wrong with knowing your signature style and having those key go-to items in your closet. In fact, that’s AWESOME! But the purpose of THIS Mannequin Challenge is to step out of your comfort zone and try things that you wouldn’t normally try.
Two things happen to me when shopping for a new season:
- I see TOO many new things and get overwhelmed. End up paralyzed by shopping overwhelm and buy nothing.
- I don’t feel inspired by anything I see or I don’t feel like it’s any different from what’s already in my closet.
Yep, even as a style blogger I struggle coming up with outfits. It can be a challenge to push the envelope and try something new and creative — especially when some days I really just want to wear leggings and a t-shirt.
And you know shopping can be a hassle — especially if you’re not feelin’ anything you see or if you’re just not in the mood. Picking up single items here and there can be easy, but creating FULL looks can feel nearly impossible sometimes. So let me tell you… there’s nothing wrong with stealing exactly what the mannequin has on! Or even buying an entire outfit that a blogger has on — that’s the point, right!?
So this Mannequin Challenge is all about finding new complete looks you love — the easy way!
- You must select a look that has at least ONE item out of your comfort zone
- You must try on every item on the mannequin — the whole outfit!
- You may ADD items to your look (accessories, shoes, etc), but you can’t take away.
- Share your looks with me using hashtag #SFMannequinChallenge.
Questions & Tips:
- Do I have to buy the whole outfit? Heck no! Unless you want to, of course :) The goal is to get you to TRY things on that you would normally skip. If you can buy 1-2 new things from the look, I consider that a win.
- What if I shop online? Order the full look on the model. For shopping online, I prefer ASOS or Nordstrom because they both have FREE shipping both ways, so it’s a great way to try new things without committing or wasting money on shipping fees. Plus, both of those stores have a wide enough range of clothing, that you can find both things that fit your style and things that push you out of your comfort zone.
- What if I am not pushed out of my comfort zone? Try a new store! There’s a reason we stick to the same few stores — because we like their clothes and their fit. If you’re not inspired by anything we see, venture into new places!
- What do I get out of this? SO many things!
- Build self-confidence by discovering new things that look GREAT on you!
- Get out of your comfort zone — also this is just as much of a confidence booster.
- Discover styles and pieces you would have never picked for yourself.
- On the flip side, you learn what doesn’t look good, which is just as valuable! You’ll learn what types of items don’t fit your body type or what colors don’t work with your skin tone. So when shopping in store or online, you’ll already have a better idea of what works and what doesn’t instead of playing the guessing game all the time.
- Build your new spring/summer wardrobe with new pieces you love.
- Finally, if you use my hashtag #SFMannequinChallenge you’ll learn how to spell the word mannequin! The struggle was REAL writing this post! Now, at the end of the post, I think I’ve finally gotten it. But the 30+ times I’ve typed it, I’ve had the red squiggly line! Oops! Haha — so this doubles as a spelling lesson!
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing my personal looks from the Mannequin Challenge. I’ll be on the search for outfits that have more fitted tops/dresses, bolder/bright colors and more professional/adult workwear. I can’t wait to share what I find!
Don’t forget to share with #SFMannequinChallenge — or even snap me or email me at email@example.com